• Creator
    Topic

John Hobby
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Lofty
    Engines: 6BT 5.9M

Good morning. Question on the fuel lift pump on my 6BT. I have no starting issues, starts right up. Run just fun, so no issues there. I will be changing the fuel filter. Last Friday I actuated the hand pump lever on the lift pump for the heck of it. Seemed to move very free with no pressure as I would of thought it would have. Up and down like nothing was restricting the movement.

My question: Is this normal or is there something wrong and I will have issues priming the filter when changing. Just does not seem to push against anything. Mechanical pump. I think the part number is 4983584 which seems to have replaced the old number of 3966154. Thanks guys.

John Hobby
    Martha’s Vineyard, MA

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

The lift pump lever inside the engine rides on a CAM.. If the engine happened to stop with the “lever” on the cam, then the mechanical pump lever will feel totally limp–“NOTHING”.. Plus, if the vlever does work, than at best it’s pretty weak at best and slow to react or recover from the little bit it pumps.. An “outboard” type squeeze bulb does 3-4X the pumping with way less effort..

Tony

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.