• Creator
    Topic

Mike P
    Participant

Have just recently repowered with 6bta’s. My port engine starts and runs well, with very little smoke after initial startup. The starboard engine is hard starting, needing me to cycle the air grid heater on and off for two to three cycles before it will start. I know it is working as I see the voltage drop and can hear the clicking sound of what I would guess to be the relay. Once started it smokes excessively with white smoke. After the motor has been run under a load and it warms up, the smoke does mostly disappears. I know that while warming up and while trolling, the port side grid heater occasionally cycles on. The starboard heater will not cycle on/off at all after the initial startup. are there two separate circuits, one for startup and the other for once the engine is running? I have swapped the sensor units but that made no difference. I was just going to order a new air heater assembly but thought I might first ask here if there are any relatively easy things I might check for. I see there are two relays in this assembly. Is it possible I have a defective relay or do these symptoms point to a defective ECM? Engine serial number is 46398122. CPL 8457.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Mike Schmidt
    Participant
    Engines: Cummins 6bta 330hp

Iā€™d greatly appreciate the guidance and will post on how it goes. Please keep the guidance relatively simple as I am much more a fisherman and much less a mechanic.

So how did this go? I’d like to tackle this myself… so if I could find some instructions that would be fantastic.

Mike P
    Participant

I’d greatly appreciate the guidance and will post on how it goes. Please keep the guidance relatively simple as I am much more a fisherman and much less a mechanic.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

My suggestion ( if you want to save money and long term hassle, plus increase safety)……………If you absolutely feel you want grid heaters, make them “boat operator functional or controllable” when needed……….

Remove the ECM controller and put them on a simple 5 minute old fashioned twist timer located in some simple to get to, but unseen place.. The “control circuit” switches less than 2 amps per side.. Simple to wire and it eliminates all the issues you describe..

Under $40 for what you need, & a Sat morning to do the job.. The guidance you need will come for free as along as you post how the job went so others in the same situation can lean to.net.

Tony

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.