• Creator
    Topic

Jamie carusone
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Bobby C
    Engines: 6 BTA 250 hp Recons

General question here…
    My boat is a 31 North Coast Express, twin Cummins 6 BTA Recons with around 800 hours. The boat cruises around 17 knots at 2100 RPMS, wide open i’m around 20 knots at 2400 RPMs.
    I would love some ideas to increase the horse power and get the boat cruising around 20 plus knots.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jamie carusone
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Bobby C
    Engines: 6 BTA 250 hp Recons

Pictures

Thanks guys for getting back to me, I was able to grab a few pics of the fuel pump and serial numbers, I was solo, and couldn’t get the engine covers totally off. I hope this helps:

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

WHAT EXACT 6BTA 250——–Various Models / power vs RPM curves for the 6BTA 5.9 “250” and are all different..

Post a serial number, or a CPL, and really good pics of the engine–Need to see the complete fuel pump side and top on the engine to ID what you have..

Tony

donald roth
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Paumalu
    Engines: Cummins 6BT 180 hp

This thread has been idle for a while, so Iā€™ll add what I know.
    Iā€™ve had lots of experiences with B 250s, and have found that the cooling system is barely adequate to safely utilize the high end of the rpm range.
    Yours being recent factory rebuilds, this might not apply, but Iā€™ve had to do extensive cooling system upgrades to feel safe while running them hard.
    You are already overpropped, and not getting the revs you need at WOT.
    This will lead to early demise, even with cooling upgrades, the motor needs to rev out to max rpms plus some when fully loaded!
    Depending on your particular boat, you may or may not be able to gain a little top speed, but itā€™s gonna be with a smaller prop.
    If you want a fast boat, you need big horsepower from the getgo.
    Check out the rest of this incredible website, the Articles and Tonyā€™s Tips have all the info you need to get your motor on track, or re-engineered for your need for speed.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

wide open iā€™m around 20 knots at 2400 RPMs

That’s a 2,600rpm rated engine?? ……Got a serial number?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.