• Creator
    Topic

Ed Malone
    Participant
    Vessel Name: KNOT SHORE
    Engines: 4LHA-STP

Hello again!
    So, decided to change thermostats, and flush coolant as I didn’t have any idea when it was done last…….. Yanmar pretty vehemently requested Texaco extended life AF in their bulletin………. Texaco was purchased by Chevron, and their Delo ELC replaced the Texaco product, problem is, I’ve been waiting over a week for a mysterious delivery of a case of concentrate that no one seems able to trace!
    I’ve called Yanmar for an answer, and what I was told was that they realize the products they desire are hard to come by in the States, they now reccomend ANY ELC as a rule.
    I’ve found Shell Rotella ELC NF and would like to use it, does anyone have any thoughts regarding the anti cavitation qualities of the nitrite free coolants? It seems to be the way AF is trending, I just don’t want to create a problem that didn’t exist.
    Many thanks, Ed.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Bill Fuller
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Audax
    Engines: Yanmar 4LHA-STE

Ed,
    I have run Prestone, Dexcool in my 4LHAs since day one.
    That amounts to 18 years and 5,739 hours with no problems.
    As Rob mentioned, silicates and phosphates free is very important.
    Bill

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Rob mentioned the key word from all of the Yanmar literature and schools I went to 15 yrs ago……..DEXCOOL..

That spec met Yanmar’s spec..Do some reading..

Too bad such a nice engine was with with materials and coolant flow specs that is what I have always said–They are coolant sensitive vs. the Cummins engine in this size range being “coolant insensitive”.. My Bro put over 7000 hours on his 6LYA’s over a 5 yr period–We ran Texaco, per there spec. The engines are still running today with no issues in Florida.. This was a rock solid engine when kept up right.

Tony

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Not familiar with that product but I did a quick read on it and it does not appear to be phosphate and silicate free?….. In my Yanmars I always used Preston Extended Life (GM Dex Cool)

Ed Malone
    Participant
    Vessel Name: KNOT SHORE
    Engines: 4LHA-STP

Anyone?

Heeeeeeeeeeelp. Lol

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.