• Creator
    Topic

Mark Tripi
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Keeper
    Engines: Cummins 4BTA

We are planning a long trip with our boat powered by twin 4BTA-250s. I have had issues with the raw water pump before and would like to see if there is a solution. Is it possible to fit a 6B r/w pump? Looks like some hoses would need to be changed to do this. At the same time would moving the engine mount out that 1/2 inch (dealing with the 6B water pump, Tony’s Tips) be possible? I would really like to be able to replace the pump without needing to jack up the engine while on a trip should it fail.

Thanks for any input.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Clinton Rowley
    Participant

The 1/2″ Seaboard shim fit my 4BTA. I’m not sure if it will be helpful for next change, it’s the port side engine with limited access, may have to remove the motor mount just for access next time, even if the spacer provides clearance.

Mark Tripi
    Participant

4BTA r/w pump shims

I have the room, would that shim tip work on the 4BTAs r/w pump? At least I could make it easier to remove.

Mark Tripi
    Participant

Front mounted, belt drive? New boat!

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

No other pump type will clear the Injection pump.. Sherwood designed the 1503 special for that engine–You are stuck with an expensive and very unreliable seawater pump..

Tony

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.