• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Matt.
  • Creator
    Topic

Matt
    Participant

I have finally decided to get the monkey off my back and replace the cylinder heads on my 480 CE’s. We have a 2005 SeaRay 420 Sundancer, and are the second owners of the boat. I know it was overloaded before we owned it, and I ran it overloaded for a year or so prior to finding Tony’s information here.

I attached an estimate. I have been so paranoid about this issue that I have been reluctant to use the boat, especially since I learned of another 480 CE dropping the valve across the bay.

I have already taken 2 inches out of the props and right now I am at the 450 burn numbers Tony has recommended. I have a laminated chart with the burn numbers on it and depending on how clean the bottom is or how loaded the boat is, I just run the boat at a speed/RPM to stay under the burns according to the chart. New props with another 1/2 inch to inch removed are next after I make sure this repair is complete.

As we get the project moving, I will follow up with some pics hopefully and updates. I see this as a reset on the life of these engines.

Thank you to Tony and his amazing team at Seaboard, I have purchased several items over the years, and their service and advice is un-paralleled.

I hope everyone can learn as we take on this adventure together. (edit after talking with Tony, I attached the complete estimate)

Thanks!

Matt

7 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Matt
    Participant

And we're off…

out with the old. Just a progress update

5 users thanked author for this post.

Dave Carlson
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Bec'n Me
    Engines: 500 QSC

Mat

Very interesting post. I had a 420 like yours and was always concerned as my boat was over propped by 2 inches also, I knew of another 420 that dropped a valve seat and his bill was 14K since it took the piston and
    turbo so you are under the money for just one blown engine!
    Good luck with your upgrade.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Matt,

It was good for you to share this . Now, others who have the 480CE have a realistic number as to what it takes to “upgrade the engine” before disaster strikes ( like dropping a valve)………

Thanks, again..

Tony..

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.