• Creator
    Topic

Warren Graybill
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Pontus
    Engines: Deutz

Right now I have a 35 T Jason commercial lobster boat that is powered with a bf6m 1015 Deutz rated at 443 HP. I have a 2” shaft swinging a 28×34 wheel. I have a zf 325 2:1 gear. I am looking into a QSC 8.3 500. My Deutz is a 2100 rpm engine. Would I be able to keep my zf 325 at 2:1? The gear is only 2 years old with less than 2k hours on it.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Warren Graybill
    Participant

Thank you Tony!

Fuel burn is not a concern. My concern was unfamiliarity with what the engine can handle, as it came in the boat when I bought it. Also not much support in this area. Most of the day is spends at idle hauling gear, and my runs are only 15-20 minutes average at cruise speed. Once Iā€™m where Iā€™m hauling gear i donā€™t hit cruise speed very often. I will run her a little harder and see where it brings me.

Thank you for your help!

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

BFM 1015M Engine

Spent some extra time researching your current engine.. This 12L engine is about as heavy duty and as well designed & made “with good intentions” as they get for it’s era… Also, it has a heavy duty rating besides meaning that if it is set up right, even running at WOT for the better part of your runs to the fishing grounds are “built” into the engines design.

If the engine was propped and still is to where it can reach a full 2100 RPM and you’ve been running at 1500 making your long runs, then you have not even come close to using its potential ( not even 200HP and under 10 GPH at cruise if propped right) .

So my question to you is———Why not push up the RPM to get your speed? The engine can do it and do it without any pain.. If it’s GPH that stops you from going faster, that will not change with a QSM11.

As to support–Yes, I see your point..

Tony

Warren Graybill
    Participant

Would the QSM11 give me the same advantages to the slow turning iron of the Deutz? Pretty comparable in size and weight.

Warren Graybill
    Participant

I do have the length to install an inline 6. Only issue I’m discovering, is here in the northeast it is hard to get parts for them. I don’t mind the engine, quiet and smooth. I’m wanting to get a little better cruise speed, right now I’m around 12 knots at 1500 of the 2100. Other than being difficult to get a good part supply, I’m happy with the motor. Plus I’m right around 15k hours almost 16k and I will be due before too long. Being a commercial lobsterman, I need parts available pretty quickly to not lose too much time at sea.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

May I ask what you want to accomplish with this possible engine swap?

Not happy with the Deutz? You have a lot of iron in that engine (12 L) and with that type of low end power, it can cannot be “practically” replaced and a 2600 + RPM 8.3 liter engine without re-gearing. Plus, you can’t really mount a ZF325 to the QSC with some expensive adapter parts and a lot of work..

If you really want the right engine to replace that “beast”, look at the QSL9 450/2100 RPM, plus it will bolt right up to your ZF 325.

Do you have the length to install an inline 6?

Tony

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.