• Creator
    Topic

Victor
    Participant

I’ve got an oil leak from the the side cover on my 330 6BTA. Looks like the gasket is cracked and brittle.

Can anyone tell me if I’ll be able slide the side cover out without removing the injector pump? I was planning on removing the aftercooler and fuel block for clearance. Not sure how long the bolt behind the pump is but if it’s 3/4 -1 inch, it should sneak out.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks
    Vic

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Replies

J Dragon
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Dragon
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA 5.9 315hp

I was curious which injection pump Victor was able to sneak behind to replace his tappet gasket.

Thanks Victor 

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Are we resurrecting 8 month old thread here? 

No clue what this is about..

Victor
    Participant

I have the Bosch pump. 

J Dragon
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Dragon
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA 5.9 315hp

Victor do you have a Bosch or denso pump? Curious about swapping the tappet cover without pulling the pump…thx 

Victor
    Participant

I was able to change the cover without removing the injection pump.
    The bolt behind the pump needs to be inched out but it is doable.

I did do the SB’s fuel cooler delete at the same time so i had the fuel block and all respective hoses off at the time.

Hope that helps.

Vic

Tony Athens

REMARK your dip sticks so they show 13 QTS in the oil pan..– Forget the original marks.. 1 qt above the 13 QT mark should be your MAX.. Running at the 13 QT mark is best.

NO on the Barrs leak or anything along those lines.. Use a diaper untill you can fix it right

Tony

gary.combs
    Participant

Tappet Cover leak

Yes, I have small leakage at back section of tappet cover. I changed oil – added 13 quarts as indicated and oil dip stick reads over maximum mark on both engines. I used oil changer on boat. I am concerned about adding more oil (2 more quarts for full) as I can’t believe both oil dip sticks are incorrect. I also worry that too much oil will add to my slightly leaking tappet cover. I did fill both oil filters with new oil during the change.

Has anyone use Barr Engine Stop leak to maybe address this small leakage?

I am also not sure about adding any more oil?

Gary Combs
    6BTA 2004 370s with 900 hours.

Tony Athens

Be sure you read this a few times and let it sink in:

And last in my personal opinion, running your engine towards the lower mark on the dipstick has NO detrimental effects on the engine. Field practice has shown that in the case of a B series Cummins that uses the shallow marine oil pan option, and rides up on plane with the BOW HIGH, that oil issues can be mitigated better by having the oil level in in the pan closer to the LOW mark.

gary.combs
    Participant

Oil leak at rear of tappet cover

Tony,

I just re-read post on oil capacities – for low on 6BTA engines, charts shows 13 quarts (without counting any oil in filter) and high is 15 quarts. I do not plan to change oil until tomorrow – but just correcting my approach.

Gary

gary.combs
    Participant

Tony,

Attached are some photos of entire engine (starboard side with new sbmar raw water pump installed) with aftercooler removed. The aftercooler is serviced and turbo filters are cleaned – but I do not want to reinstall if I need to address this leak.

I have only owned boat for 1.5 years and never calibrated oil dip stick. But tomorrow, I will drain all oil on this engine. I have 2004 6BTAs and I understand the engine takes 13 quarts with a full oil filter. Per the calibration, I will install 4 gallons (12 quarts) with new full oil filter. Then, I will mark dip stick (notch with dremel) for low. If I read instructions correctly, I then add another quart (and mark dip stick for maximum).

Then what?

Gary

Tony Athens

Get back a few ft and post some good pics showing the entire engine. Need to see everything.

Last time you properly calibrated your oil pan level / capacity and marked your dip stick accordingly?

Oil Pan Capacities for Cummins Marine Engines

gary.combs
    Participant

I have 2004 6BTA (1000 engine hours) and I removed aftercooler on starboard engine for servicing. Aftercooler is serviced and ready to bolt back onto engine, but I notice a small oil leak from tappet cover. Even with engine not running, the oil continues a small leak. I can push on cover and see oil residue. I don’t think I have the Enviros system, but I maybe overlooking it. The engine has been setting for two weeks and I have cleaned residue twice, but it continues to reappear. What should I do to address this issue?

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

You have her propped right now, not overfilling the pan, no cold start issues, running the EV CCV, average 80 hrs per season, no high oil consumption —- those are all good things for many many seasons to come. I think your comment about “remove and refresh” is a tad extreme but sure no reason not to fully investigate if it’s on your time and not too much dime. Do post pics of all when you can, including all parts of the EV CCV.

Victor
    Participant

Missed your oil question.

Yes it’s on the lower end of the dipstick near the add mark when I have 12 in the pan.
    It will burn a quart or so through the course of a season

Victor
    Participant

I appreciate it..This is my first diesel so other than what I read on this forum, I have no real world experience.

Yes Enviros. I put about 60 hours on it this season and about 570 gallons of fuel. There’s about an inch or so in the puke bottle. My other engine has maybe 2 inches in it.

Last season I put about 100 hours on it, I don’t remember exactly how much was in the bottles but I don’t recall a significant amount.

I’m paranoid to whether or not it was caused by blow-by as well. I need to do a blow-by best for my own sanity so I know if these engines are in good condition or I should remove and refresh them.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

Understood, sounds good. Just trying to see if there is any indication that the cover gasket was “pushed” out or if it just failed.

So you have Envirovent, right? Anything accumulate in the puke bottles? If so, in how many engine hours or in how many gallons of fuel burned?

Where does the oil level normally sit on the dipstick, lower third? And do you have to add any during the season?

Victor
    Participant

The boat is laid up for the winter and is about an hour away from me so it will be a few weeks before I get near it.

As far as oil goes, I had more like 12 in the pan when I sucked it out, before layup.

With respect to cold start, during the season, both will fire off within 3 seconds of crank time (preheaters are disconnected).

Engines were propped to 2800 RPM for the first 1300 hours of their life. I’ve since had them propped to 2900.

Thanks for the link, I’ll have to put that together.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

Post some pics of your Envirovent setup.
    Are you diligent about not overfilling the oil – just 13QTS in the pan..?
    As to blowby – How does she cold start?
    The actual test is a tad involved:
    https://www.sbmar.com/articles/measuring-blow-by-the-real-test-for-internal-engine-condition/

Victor
    Participant

Tappet Cover

Yes. that’s the cover.
    Other than doing the oil cap test (the cap would just sit there), I’ve never checked for blow by.

I have SB’s CCV on the boat.

I figure the gasket is rock hard on the edges and cracked in some place so it could use replacement.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

Tappet Cover ?

Are you referring to the tappet cover? The pump needs to be removed to R&R this. Is your blow-by high? What are you using for CCV?

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.