• Creator
    Topic

Hunter Heatly
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Burning Daylgiht
    Engines: Cat 3208

Hello,

I have a pair of 3208 375hp engines in a 37 Bertram (4,200 hours).  The issue is that the stb. engine is getting weak. It now only turns up to 2650. Both turned up to 2800 when I purchased the boat three years ago.  The pt. engine still turns up to almost 2800 (2750), probably not all the way because of the stb. motor not providing as much power.  Another thing I noticed is that heading down sea the stb. engine will surge to higher rpm when surfing down the wave, the pt. stays put.

The bottom is clean and the props are in spec.  Boost at 2500 rpm is pt 9 psi, stb 11 psi.  At WOT, pt 2750 and stb 2650, 14 psi on both engines.  The after coolers were both serviced at the same time 3 years ago.

My question is, where should I look next?  Fuel pressure?

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year,

Hunter

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Trying to find some lost RPM on some 35 Yr old CATS

Hunter,

A few things to ponder..

Although you did not say for sure, I am guessing your  Bertram & engines are pre-1992  & most likely older than that.. So we have a boat & pair of engine are 35 Yrs old?

You’ve owned the boat 3 yrs and I would venture to say that although you think the engines made or “squeaked”  their minimum rated RPM of 2800 when you “seatrialed the boat  for purchase”, I’m going to  guess that they did not for very long as the vessel became older and heavier.. Realize that these engines have been asked for all they have had to give for probably 20+ % of their life when your boat is on plane, and just like any engine of that vintage , they do get tired along with the boat always getting heavier as the years go by.. Just another coat of bottom paint with take performance away from a boat.

Now ask yourself  this—————-At 2200 CRUISE today what is your vessel speed?  What was you vessel speed  at 2200 RPM  2-3 yrs ago when you first got the boat?  Be accurate as this is important to understanding what is most likely going on.

Did it ever cross your mind that this engine should have been propped years back  to not less than  an accurate  2900 PRM, and then  cruised at 2400 RPM or less ??  The 3208 at 375 HP was and still is a great engine, but like any high performance diesel engine in a boat, you never want to prop it in a way that you are always squeezing it’s neck to the max.

As to where to look for the answer?  Good question, but first, come back with some soild thoughts on 1~4..

Tony

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.