• Creator
    Topic

Paul Harper
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Tall tales 2
    Engines: 5.7's omc

We inherited a 2958 Bayliner last year with twin 350’s & omc Cobra’s. After throwing some time into it, we have decided it needs repowered with engines & drives. The beam is 10.5 making the 350’s very difficult to work on. I work in heavy equipment repair & hate spark plugs. My neighbor at the marina has a 2001 sea sport with twin 3.9’s and Volvo drives, was wondering if this is a option?

Thanks for any advice.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Paul Harper
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Tall tales 2
    Engines: 5.7's omc

Thanks Tony, we will probably fix what’s in it and use the boat for awhile till something pops up that has a good diesel package. Alot of nice boats out there with really outdated engines installed, hopefully that changes in the next few years.

Paul.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Paul,

With a vessel like that, you are basically locked into outdrives. If you want diesels, then you choices are very limited and all are quite expensive as to complete “packages”…We repowered a 25Ft Betram last year from gas Volvo’s to new using two new D3 200’s………….. The boat belonged to the Yellowstone National Parks and they had a budget to allow the boat to be made “As New” top to bottom.. Actually, it came out way better than new..

But to put things in perspective, the twin Volvo Engine outdrive packages were about $80,000 delivered to my shop.. .. Then came the “project” itself which cost about the same plus some.

Probably best to do some local research as to the cost of engine/outdrive packages to see it it really fits your goals..

Tony

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.