• Creator
    Topic

Andrew Piipponen
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Outer Limits
    Engines: 6bta 300hp

I just purchased a 1999 6bta 315 for my boat. I am trying to find the serial number but am lost since there is not data plate. I need some help identifying where the sensors are and how to install the harness. It has a brand new set of Cummins gauges. Any help is appreciated. I have a video of it running. Will get some pictures of the sensors that are on it tomorrow. Thanks

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

You need to buy a different tach that uses a Mag pick-up for the input if you want something accurate.

Tony

Andrew Piipponen
    Participant

Tach is as Faria TD9102, there site states mech takeoff or var ratio alt… guess no mag sensor will work.

Andrew Piipponen
    Participant

I got the heat exchanger and Aftercoolers cleaned up and put back together. Was also able to wire the sensors. The temp gauge still isnā€™t working… I take of the feed from the panel and ground it out and the gauge maxes out. Iā€™ve found that means the sensor is bad? Will the one on your site work to replace it? Also from what I see I can use a mag sensor for the tach. Which one should I use from two for sale here?

Tony Athens

THIS has until wait until I look very close at a new sender:

VDO
    805/1/4
    Max 120Ā° ( Iā€™m assuming Celsius?)
    6-24v
    Made in Germany

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Your current wiring harness–Only YOU can answer that question–It all comes down to your capabilities as to following the Cummins wiring diagram and how good you are at cutting, splicing, etc etc wires as needed that need to work in a damp marine environment and on a boat that is bouncing around………

Tony

Andrew Piipponen
    Participant

Got the sender pulled out. It is a VDO stamped with the following
    VDO
    805/1/4
    Max 120Ā° ( Iā€™m assuming Celsius?)
    6-24v
    Made in Germany

Just ordered a OP sender and Aftercoolers/hx maintenance kit.

Back to the wiring, I have the universal harness that came with the motor doesnā€™t look to have been installed properly. Would I be better or buying the mechanical harness you guys have for 5xx$ or would it be a wast of money?

Thanks.

Tony Athens

Yes we sell the proper WT sender..But yours could be right.

OP sender-We have the proper unit

Your tach–Look it up on the Faria web site–No clue what EXACT spec it has.. No one could from just looking at the face. The input signal requirements varies from model to model

Tony

Andrew Piipponen
    Participant

I will pull the temp sender out today and post some pics. Will the oil pressure gauge on your site work with the panel? Also , for the tach, are you able to run it of the alternator like on a car? Or will the mag switch work with this panel.

Tony Athens

You have a total “mixed up” engine as to what you have ( vintages as to all) ..Some very old, some ??, and some OK.. Not a bad thing, but you need to make some decisions on how you want to sort it all out..

1) Yes–that is a block heater element that was put in place of a removed freeze plug– Just leave it alone, or remove it and replace with a new freeze plug and do it PROPERLY.

2) Water temp sender on the top of the head with 2 spade terminals– Looks like a VDO sender , 100-250F. but there is no way to tell until you pull it and either test it or read the stamped markings on it–IMO, I’d start with a NEW sender. If you use the right one, it will be compatible with the panel your have, if it it working, and all is wired properly..

3) Oil Pressure sender w/ one terminal on the side of the block–This IS NOT COMPATIBLE with your instrument panel– Toss it and get a 0-150 PSI VDO sender made for the panel you have.

4) Plastic screw plug in your bell housing–That’s where a mag pick-up goes.. It runs a “proper tach”..Not sure of the one in the panel its been “replaced’.

5) Your alternator– Toss it t as this is something that the guy that built up the engine, just stuck in place as I guest it fit the mounting arrangement. Maybe its some old Delco 11 or 12SI SI from a car or something…. Get yourself a 19SI 3-wire alternator –It will be mostly be “plug and play”..

Regardless of all, you will need to wire all of the “on-engine” senders, etc per the Factory wire diagrams.. All on this web site.

Tony

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

In the 2nd pic the coolant sender with the 2 spades is for the VDO gauge. And yes as Joe states 1st pic is block heater.

joe intintoli
    Participant
    Vessel Name: sparky
    Engines: cummins 6BTA

first picture engine block heater 2 picture thermos sender for heater

Andrew Piipponen
    Participant

I will need an alternator. also on the coolant, do i need to replace both of those? from what i see online there is only one part?

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

1st pic- some expansion plug thingy, maybe Tony will know…
    2nd pic- yes, coolant
    3rd pic- yes, 1 terminal means it’s case ground (not floating)
    4th pic- yes

Sending units are not manufacturer specific to a gauge, it is the ohm ranges that need to be the same, not the brand name.

A replacement what – circuit board or alternator? (Seaboard sells both)

Andrew Piipponen
    Participant

Identify sensors

Below are the pictures of the sensors I can see on the engine. Also need to find a replacement alternator as a screw is broken out of the position labeled BAT. panel seems to be unmolested.
    1st pic- not sure what this is. Looks like I could be a sensor?
    2nd pic- appears to be 2 sensors in the head?
    3rd pic- oil pressure? But there is only one terminal?
    4th pic- is this where I would install the mag switch for the tach?

On the site I see sensors that say VDO only. What does that mean? Will those work for this?

Also attached pics of the panel and alternator. Can some one point me in the right direction of a replacement? Part number I see says 1103040

Sorry for all the questions. New to the diesel and inboard world and want to make sure my setup is good!
    Thanks in advanced

Tony Athens

ID-ing a 6BTA 5.9

Pre-1990 CPL 970 with the earliest of the ND EP9 fuel pumps/fuel injection system, Pre 1990 early belt wrap, upgraded aftercooler (early to mid-90’s, and a later version Sherwood 1716 pump……….This engine was never a “315” and it needs to treated as a weak 300 at 2950-3000 RPM for propping purposes.. Don’t know about the head-It could still be a 9mm head–If so, then be sure to treat is like I said..If rebuilt with Chinese parts or if it’s been sleeved, be extra cautious

Nice paint and hoses.

Is it the same inside?

Who went thru the engine? Same guy that told you this was a 1999 315? Sorry to bust your bubble.

Wiring diagrams are on this web site–Simple to wire using the panel you have if you have the proper senders– OIL , water and a mag pick-up.. The alarms take care of themselves if the panel is 100%–That panel came from a RECON built about 10 yrs ago but has had the tach changed for a Faria. Does the back of the panel look intact? PCB board?

Tony

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.